I guess I started a series on friends last week so I will continue on that theme.
Friends really can make you or break you. Other than you parents your friends will have the greatest impact on your life. I don’t know about you but I want friends that are going to accept me as I am.
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. – 1 Thessalonians 5:11
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. – Hebrews 10:24-25
Let’s take a moment and think about what fake friends and real friends look like…
- They are wishy-washy – one day you are the best of friends and can get along no problem but then a simple thing can set them off and they want nothing to do with you. Then again maybe the next day things will be fine. But you just never know with this friend.
- They cut you down – I know we live in a sarcastic culture and put downs and cut downs are a thing and can be fun but this type of friend knows they are taking it too far. They continually beat you down with words while making everyone else laugh. But when you try to jab back they want nothing to do with it.
- They have to win – This friend has to win at all costs even your feelings. friends are supposed to be your supporters but instead this friend is only happy when they come out on top. It can be in a game or just getting in the last word.
- They mess with your mind – You just never know where you stand with this friend. they send you cryptic texts and innuendoes that always leave you wondering if you did something wrong or if they will live up to their word.
- They are complicated and exhausting – friendship should be effortless. You just enjoy hanging out with someone because you have similar likes and styles. But there are some friends that are so much DRAMA… you know what I’m talking about. When you get done hanging with this person you are so stressed and tired from all their junk.
- They have your back no matter what – they know the know the meaning of the word loyal and once they decide you are their friend they are there no matter what. Even when someone starts a nasty roomer. They don’t distance themselves they stand up for you.
- They build you up – The Bible has a lot to say about community and friendship. It’s supposed to be about encouraging each other and doing life together. When you hang with real friends you leave a better person.
- They enjoy open ended conversation – when you are talking they are willing to listen and even change their mind. they don’t care who is right or even if their idea is the best.
- They are honest and upfront – They do not try to make you figure out their riddles. They are simply upfront and honest about who they are and how they feel about life, you, and whatever else you talk about.
- What you see if what you get – We live in a culture that is all about image and popularity. Many people will do anything to be popular but real friends are true to themselves and you. They are not willing to jeopardize your friendship for a few popularity votes.
Having friends who accept you just the way you are is a huge blessing. Make sure you continually evaluate your friends. If it seems like a friend is changing you for the better hang out with the MORE, but if it seems a friend is consistently getting you to do things you shouldn’t do the DROP THEM.
That’s all for now,