And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
As parents we have the responsibility to lead our children spiritually. I began talking about this in my last post, Parents Matter: Where To Start. To that end I began to reach out to some of my friends in the ministry about parenting and discipleship in the home. Below is a list I received.
This is by no means a complete list but it is a list to get us thinking about how we are doing. I believe that evaluation helps us see the areas where we are weak. Use this list as an evaluation.
God is getting me on this issue as well. I have the desire to be a good parent and lead my family spiritually but sometimes I lack the follow through. I say that so you know I am not perfect and I am on this journey with you.
Parent Check List for being a Spiritual Hero
- I am following Christ and setting the example in my home.
- My child/children know that spending time in God’s word is important.
- My child/children know that my spouse comes before my children in my love, and there is nothing in our family that is more important than following Christ.
- My child/children know that being with other believers and being active in the church is a priority in our family, for the church is the Bride of Christ.
- I am encouraging my child/children to discover their own ministry as God has gifted them and they know how I use my giftedness in serving the Kingdom
- My child/children have heard me pray.
- I pray consistently over my children.
- We have participated as a family in living on mission, including serving together in mission projects/trips.
- Faith and Biblical principles are a woven into our conversations, especially in decision making.
- I live a genuine and transparent faith before my family. I do not have all of the answers, but rely upon God’s direction and guidance.
What do you think? Can you add to the list?
Praying for you,